A few weeks after quitting my job in Finance in 2015, I found myself stuck and confused about my next steps. My initial plan was to take a 2 month career break in order to really figure out what I wanted to do next, but this turned into a 6 month break which consisted of me coasting through life, hoping that my half-hearted business attempts would blossom into juicy cheques. I spent most of my time living vicariously through the lives of others on the likes of Instagram, dreaming up business ideas, but not lifting a finger towards making them happen.
One day (the morning after a pretty intense reality check conversation with hubby!) I stumbled upon Myleik’s Instagram account. I scrolled and scrolled through her entire timeline, nodding along to her quotes as if she was sat right in front of me giving me a pep talk. This woman spoke life!!!!!!!
Soon after, I learned that Instagram was just one of many places Myleik poured out her wisdom. This successful, black, hard-working, straight talking CEO (curlBOX) also had a podcast, and I wanted in!
In less than two days I had listed to every one of her podcasts. I mean this woman is like the Rubik’s Cube solver of hardcore real life problems! From how to deal with rejection, to building your reputation, getting more out of your day, getting out of a slump, being an african-american woman in business… this woman talks about it ALL, and the best part… she’s contagious!
Myleik’s podcasts have been a huge game changer in my life, and I’m 100% confident that they can be for you too! So, if you’re an aspiring boss chick striving to make it in business, in need of some guidance and ready to put in the hard work that a successful business demands, then buckle up, get your pen and paper at the ready, because trust me you’re going to want to take some notes!
Here are a list of my favourite podcasts and quotes on ‘business, entrepreneurship and boss chick basics‘ preached by the ultimate boss chick herself, Myleik Teele:
PODCAST: “THE RULES” of Entrepreneurship
- “Don’t believe your own hype, you have to manage your ego”. Even if you start doing well really early, remember you still have so much to learn. Ego can inhibit success.
- “Rejection is INEVITABLE!”
- “You have to know that what you’re doing and what you’re selling is not for everyone! It’s not your job to convince people that what you have is for them. You’re job is to find people who are already interested in what you have who are looking for what you’re selling” – I LOVE THIS!
- “Begging is not marketing or selling. It’s being annoying! Be more creative with your strategy and marketing”
- “Once you’ve been rejected ask for feedback”. Assess the feedback, is it about the personality of the person that rejected you? Is it the wrong time of the year for a partnership? Are there flaws in your business model?
- “A real hustler invests in themselves”
- “The best way to get people to listen to you is to be dope!”
PODCAST: How To Go To The NEXT LEVEL!
- “You won’t be ready but do it anyway!”
- “Build your personal brand”.
- “Market yourself”- It’s not bragging, it’s telling people what you’re doing, what you like, and what you’re good at.
- “Fall in love with gratitude”. Show others how grateful you are, gratitude makes us more optimistic and develops our personality. “Gratitude helps you bounce back”.
- ‘Take inventory. There’s something about taking stock when you feel like things aren’t working. Be transparent with yourself and ask yourself what it is that you are not doing or could do a better job at”.
- “Feelings are not facts”
- “The ones who win are the ones who stay when everyone else has quit”
- “People have to be able to trust you” – Be early, go the extra mile, keep your word and when you can’t… communicate.
- “Be responsive, you have to have a sense of urgency about your work”
- “Resolve errors and mistakes quickly”. People will respect you when you own up to your mistakes
- “You have to build relationships. You work your way up to strong relationships”.
- “Let people know that you know what they’ve been doing, and you’re not just trying to connect with them for your own benefit initially”